Ultraviolet Water Treatment System or Ultraviolet Purification System is a proven way to safeguard drinking water. Once a Perfect UV water purification system is installed then the issues related to taste,odor will be resolved. UV water purification is effective and environmentally safe.
Ultra violet water treatment systems (UV sterilisers) kill bacteria in water. They are often used to ensure safe drinking water from well, spring and borehole water supplies. Due to increased legislation are now regularly used in food and drink related industries.
Micro organisms including bacteria, viruses and cysts are all around us naturally. Many are harmless but exposure to “bad” ones can cause severe illness particularly in the elderly and very young. There is a wide variety of water treatment products available to improve taste, clarity, scale etc but none of these are designed to combat bacteria. Ultra violet water treatment is one of the safest ways to disinfect water as the UV rays are a natural component of sunlight. No chemicals are added so there is no danger from overdosing or creating a bad taste
The Micro organic contaminants are to exposed to lethal amount of Ultraviolet Light at a particular wavelength. The exposure makes the microorganism to be inactive. Pathogens which are considered to be a threat is removed completely using UV filtration system. Pathogens Ex: Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Salmonella, E.Coli
Using UV light in drinking water treatment requires the generation and application of UV light in a way to maximize its effectiveness. All UV drinking water treatment devices require power to generate UV light. When a UV lamp is turned on, mercury in the lamp is “excited” and takes on energy. The mercury quickly discharges that extra energy in the form of UV light. Mercury is a necessary component of UV lamps because it emits light in the germicidal wavelength (200-300 nm). However, there are new UV light emitting-diodes (UV LEDs) being developed that do not use mercury and show promise as effective UV disinfection devices. A UV device used in drinking water treatment typically consists of a UV lamp, a clear quartz sleeve to protect the lamp and allow the UV light to penetrate the water, and in some cases a means to measure the intensity of UV light produced. Having the ability to measure UV light intensity is important since certain water quality characteristics can reduce intensity and UV
intensity degrades the more the lamp is used.
Additionally, the UV device is designed to ensure all the water being treated is channeled through the device as close to the quartz sleeve as possible to ensure the water receives the longest amount of exposure possible at the maximum UV intensity. UV devices work best when treating clear water, so UV devices are typically located after filtration treatment processes. The effectiveness of UV light is highly dependent on the turbidity, or cloudiness, of the water and any color present in the water. In highly turbid or colored water the UV light won’t be able to penetrate through the water. A well-designed UV device will incorporate indicators of operation to measure the UV intensity, or UV dose, provided to the water and will also include indicators of lamp function (on/off). UV devices can be scaled to fit any size or type of drinking water treatment need, from small handheld devices to large systems capable of treating millions of gallons per day. A number of commercially available water treatment systems designed to fulfill the needs of the military squad sized unit incorporate UV as a disinfectant. These water purifiers are meant to be portable and therefore present inherent risk of breakage or damage to the UV device during transport. Care must be exercised when transporting a UV device and they should be closely inspected prior to operation to ensure no damage has occurred. A significant disadvantage of using UV for disinfection is its inability to provide a residual. If UV disinfected water is to be stored a chemical disinfectant such as chlorine or iodine, capable of providing a long-lasting disinfectant residual, should be added to the stored water to prevent re-contamination.
The following factors are common obstacles that will reduce the effectiveness of UV disinfection:
Excessive bacteria counts in water may require an additional UV dosages or chemical treatment. Other factors, such as water temperature, should also be considered. UV units are normally designed to operate best between two and forty degree Celsius. Apart from these UV treatment method has also other benefits such as,
Short answer: everywhere! Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection of drinking water has been growing steadily in popularity, as people search for a chemical-free solution for ensuring their water is safe from microbiological contaminants.
The well water usually contains high risks of pathogens. Austro water tech helps you understand the UV water treatment effectively. Austro also helps you to find the levels of dissolved sediments, minerals like iron, manganese and sulfur. The factors which define the efficiency of an UV system. Though UV water purification systems are used as the last part of water treatment process, choosing an effective UV water system is important.
There are three potential health risks associated with using UV devices – formation of disinfection byproducts; mercury exposure due to UV lamp
breakage; and direct exposure to UV light generated by the UV device. All these potential health risks are generally considered minimal. While there is evidence that UV can produce disinfection byproducts, UV produces far fewer disinfection byproducts compared to other chemical disinfectants typically used in drinking water treatment (e.g., chlorine, ozone, chlorine dioxide), Disinfection byproducts may cause adverse health effects if consumed in sufficient quantities for long periods of time. Most UV lamps used in drinking water treatment contain between 5 milligrams (mg) and 400 mg of mercury. There is a concern if a UV lamp breaks during operation the mercury could enter the treated water and be ingested.
Most UV devices have safety mechanisms installed to alarm or stop treatment or water flow if a UV lamp breaks or loses power for any reason. Additionally, if the quartz sleeve is not damaged or broken it may prevent mercury from entering the water if the lamp breaks. While this is a concern, the potential health risk from ingesting mercury is low. The health risks from direct exposure to UV from sunlight are well documented. There is a concern that a user could be exposed to UV light when using or maintaining a UV device. However, this poses a slight risk as UV devices are designed to operate in enclosed vessels and include safety mechanisms to prevent UV light exposure during maintenance.